PlanGrid Privacy Statement
Effective Date: June 21, 2019
Protecting your privacy is important to PlanGrid. This Privacy Statement describes how PlanGrid, Inc. (“PlanGrid”) and its subsidiaries collect, use, and disclose personal data about you in connection with our construction productivity management and collaboration platform, our websites and apps, through related support and professional services, and through various sales and marketing activities.
PlanGrid is part of the Autodesk corporate family. In some cases, we share with and receive personal data from other Autodesk companies, including our subsidiaries, our parent company Autodesk, Inc., and its subsidiaries (collectively, our “affiliates”).
Much of the personal data we collect through the PlanGrid services is processed on behalf of our customers and users. In some circumstances, we also process this personal data for our own purposes, as described below. However, we are not responsible for the data processing or protection practices of our customers, which may differ from those set out in this Privacy Statement.
This Privacy Statement also does not apply to the collection of personal data by third-party websites or applications. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of the respective third-party websites and applications with which you interact.
This Privacy Statement will inform you about the following:
- What Information Does PlanGrid Collect About You?
- How Does PlanGrid Use the Information It Collects About You?
- How Does PlanGrid Disclose Information?
- How Does PlanGrid Protect and Retain Your Information?
- How Do You Access, Update, Download, and Delete Your Information?
- Cookies and Automated Data Collection
- Does PlanGrid Transfer Your Information Across National Borders?
- How Does PlanGrid Protect Children’s Information?
- Is the Information You Give Us Ever Displayed Publicly?
- Will This Privacy Statement Change?
- How to Contact Us?
What Information Does PlanGrid Collect About You?
“Personal data” is information that identifies or could reasonably be linked directly or indirectly to you. For purposes of this Privacy Statement, “personal data” and “personal information” have the same meaning and are used interchangeably.
- Personal data we handle for our customers and users in connection with providing PlanGrid services (“Service Data”) – We collect this information from our customers and users through various means, primarily through our construction productivity management and collaboration platform (including through user accounts on plangrid.com and our apps) and through related support and professional services. Because we receive information from or on behalf of our customers, Service Data may contain any type of information that our customers or their users provide. In most cases, this information is professional contact information and information that is linked to those contact details.
- Personal data we handle for our own business (“Business Data”) – This includes certain information collected on or through our websites, such as information you submit via newsletter signup forms, information we automatically collect when you visit our websites, and information collected through our sales and marketing-related efforts.
Please note that we may be required by law to collect certain personal data about you, or as a consequence of any contractual relationship we have with you or our customer through whom you use the PlanGrid. Failure to provide this information may prevent or delay the fulfillment of these obligations.
Information you provide us
We collect certain personal data directly from you. These types of information generally include:
- Your contact details (e.g., name, email address, phone number, and mailing address)
- Professional details (e.g., title and name of company)
- Language preferences
- Subscription plans
- Details about products or services you have purchased or expressed interest in
- Training and certification details
- Event attendance details
- Communication preferences
- Your communications with us (e.g., feedback, requests, complaints, content you submit, and comments you post in our forums)
- Payment information you provide when making a purchase directly from us
Please note that when you make purchases through the PlanGrid services, we use payment processors (such as Stripe) and do not store credit card or other financial information (other than confirmation that payment in a certain amount has been made). We collect contact information from you that we pass through to the payment processor to facilitate the transaction. For more information you can contact our providers as set forth in their privacy notices.
Information we obtain from your use of PlanGrid
We automatically collect and generate certain personal data about your use of PlanGrid. These types of information generally include:
- System information and usage data relating to your use of PlanGrid (e.g., unique device identifiers, operating system, type of device you use, product ID, license information, which sites and applications you use and for how long, your city and country from your IP address, and information about your browser)
- Error data (e.g., information relating to technical errors that may occur when you use our applications, if you choose to send the relevant report to us)
- Automatic updates (e.g., information that may identify you to our system administrator in connection with the automatic update process, including user login name and computer’s name or description)
- Information we generate about your use of PlanGrid (e.g., our understanding of your interests based on your use of our website, features of our services, etc.)
Social networking data – We have pages on social networking platforms, such as Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter, where you can visit and communicate with us. The platform also includes buttons, tools, or content that links to another company’s services. We collect information about your use of these features through first- and third-party analytics tools.
If the PlanGrid services that you use contain plugins, information can be transferred directly from your device to the social networking provider. We have no influence on the data collected by the plugin. If you are logged in to the social network, a link can be established between your user account there and the use of the PlanGrid services.
If you interact with the plugins, for example by clicking on “Like”, “Follow” or “Share”, or by writing a comment, this information may automatically appear in your profile on the social network. Even if you are not logged in, the plugins may send your IP address to social network providers. Please note this when using the PlanGrid services.
When you connect to a social networking service on a device that is also used by others, these other users are able to see information that is stored or displayed in connection with your profile on the social networking service page.
Information we collect from other parties
We obtain certain types of information from third parties, including Service Data we collect through our platform from our customers and users. We also obtain Business Data from our affiliates and from other third-party sources, such as employers, business partners, business contact databases, enrichment service providers, other third-party data aggregators, and social networking platforms (e.g., LinkedIn). Business Data we obtain from third parties may include contact details (e.g., name, email address, phone number, and mailing address) and professional details (e.g., title and name of company).
How does PlanGrid Use the Information It Collects about You?
We use your personal data mindfully, and in useful ways, including:
- To validate your identity, to the extent necessary to perform our contract with you
- To deliver you services, products, support, or information you have requested about the PlanGrid services, to the extent necessary to perform our contract with you
- To send you information within the scope of our contract with you
- To send you other information you requested, like when someone has “liked” one of your posts, to the extent necessary to perform our contract with you
- To send you information about our products and services and the products and services of our affiliates, including sending you marketing communications, which is in our legitimate interest
- To support our legitimate interest in improving our products and services and the products and services of our affiliates, including through the use of automated systems to analyze your data using machine learning and advanced analytics
- To correct problems in the PlanGrid services, as necessary to perform the contract we have with you
- To support our legitimate interest in customizing the content and advertising you see on our website, across the internet, and elsewhere
- To support our legitimate interest in analyzing market conditions and use of the PlanGrid services
- To pursue our legitimate interest in preventing and reducing fraud and software piracy
- To support our legitimate interest in creating and commercializing new PlanGrid products and services
- To enforce the legal terms that govern the PlanGrid services
- To comply with law and protect rights, safety and property
- To support our legitimate interest in creating and using aggregated and anonymized information
- For other purposes, for which we obtain your consent (where we rely on your consent to process personal data, you may withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us at the contact details below)
We process Service Data pursuant to our contracts with our customers and applicable law.
We may also process personal data for the same legitimate interests of our customers and business partners. Where we rely on our legitimate interests, you have the right to object to that processing on the basis of circumstances specific to you. For more information, see “How Do You Access, Update, Download, and Delete Your Information?” below.
How Does PlanGrid Disclose Your Information?
We share any information described above as follows:
- When we have your consent to do so, or for other purposes requested or permitted by you. For example, if you use choose to integrate third-party software into our platform (for example, Google Drive, Box, Dropbox, or other integrations), we will share information with those third-party integrations as necessary for them to work, but please note that your information will be handled by such third party subject to their own privacy and security policies or procedures, which we do not control
- With our service providers, including vendors, consultants, and other service providers who perform services or functions on our behalf, for the uses of information described above. For example, our service providers include companies who support us with marketing, sales, consulting, communications, software maintenance and support, analytics, social media, market research, license compliance, security, localization, and payment processing. Our service providers process your information subject to contractual terms that restrict their ability to use your information further
- With business partners for their own marketing purposes, including providing online advertising
- With our subsidiaries, our parent company Autodesk, Inc., and its other subsidiaries (collectively, our “affiliates”), for any of the purposes and uses of information described in this Privacy Statement and for our legitimate interests in providing you with integrated products and services (including to administer purchases, services, and payments across our affiliated products and services). Our affiliates may provide you with personalized offers or send you marketing communications about products and services that may be of interest to you with your consent or as otherwise permitted by applicable law
- With social networking services when you use the PlanGrid services to connect and share information publicly or with your contacts on such third-party social networking platforms and services
- When we are required to do so by law, such as to respond to a subpoena or court order
- When we have a good faith belief that the disclosure is necessary to prevent or respond to fraud or software piracy, defend ourselves against attacks, or protect the rights, property, and safety of PlanGrid, our customers, and the public
- As part of a business sale, merger, consolidation, change in control, transfer of substantial assets or reorganization
We may also disclose Service Data to provide the PlanGrid services, which can involve transferring data to service providers whose use of the data is consistent with this Privacy Statement and to third parties whose own use of the data is not subject to this Privacy Statement, such as:
- By facilitating a user’s posting of information to a PlanGrid project controlled by a third party (which, like the other examples here, then would be subject to that third party’s decisions about use and disclosure)
- By facilitating a user’s posting of information to a PlanGrid project controlled by you (which, like the other examples here, then would be subject to your decisions about use and disclosure)
- By facilitating a user’s electronic delivery of information to an external recipient selected by that user (such as to send data to an integration or to invite a nonuser to join a project)
- By providing a customer or a third party chosen by the customer with any data collected from any user of the customer’s PlanGrid project
- By providing a project administrator with information about a user’s use of the PlanGrid project
- By allowing a project administrator to transfer control of all or a portion of a project (and the data it contains), to a new project administrator, including one at a different company
We may also share with others aggregated or anonymized information that can no longer identify you.
How Does PlanGrid Protect and Retain Your Information?
We maintain various physical, organizational and technical safeguards, which are subject to periodic changes. We limit the access employees, contractors, and agents of PlanGrid and our affiliates have to your information to those who need to know this data to perform their assigned functions and develop or improve our products and services.
If you use third-party software integrated into our service (for example, Google Drive, Box, Dropbox or other integrations), your information will be handled by the respective third party subject to their own privacy and security policies or procedures, which we do not control.
We will hold your information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes set forth in this Privacy Statement or as long as we are legally required or permitted to do so. We retain your information in order to comply with financial reporting obligations and so that we can establish, exercise or defend legal claims, including enforcing our rights under contracts. Information may persist in copies made for backup and business continuity purposes for additional time.
How Do You Access, Update, Download, and Delete Your Information?
You have the rights to access personal data we hold about you, and to have that data corrected or updated, restricted or deleted in appropriate circumstances. Where applicable, you have the right to receive information we hold about you in portable form and to have it transmitted to a third party. Where applicable, you also have rights to object to our handling of your personal data and to withdraw any consent you have provided.
All users can review and update certain user information by logging in to the relevant portions of the PlanGrid services. You can unsubscribe from marketing emails by clicking the "unsubscribe" link contained in these marketing emails. Users can deactivate their accounts by contacting us at email@example.com, subject to any contractual provisions between PlanGrid and the customer responsible for the account. Controls related to cookies and other automated data collection are described in the “Cookies and Automated Data Collection” section below. Where applicable under local law, you may have the right to opt out of receiving certain direct marketing communications.
To exercise applicable rights, you may contact us as described at the end of this Privacy Statement. Where we process Service Data on behalf of our customers, we may refer the request to the relevant customer and cooperate with their handling of the request, subject to any special contractual arrangement with that customer. For individual user accounts not associated with a customer account, PlanGrid will handle the request directly.
Where applicable under local law, you may have the right to lodge a complaint with the relevant supervisory authority, but we encourage individuals to contact us first, and we will do our best to resolve any concern.
Cookies and Automated Data Collection
We and our service providers, acting on our behalf, set Cookies. We also allow third parties to set Cookies that we do not control, in particular advertising cookies (as described below). You can find details of the third parties that set Cookies below.
Some Cookies are known as “session” Cookies. These are deleted after you close your browser, for example Cookies that keep you logged in throughout a session on our site. Other Cookies are “persistent” Cookies, which remain on your device for a longer period. This might include Cookies used to remember your language preferences so that our website will be in the language you prefer when you visit.
We use various types of Cookies:
Advertising Cookies. These are Cookies that are used to understand your preferences and show relevant advertising to you both on our websites and on third party sites. These Cookies are used to recognize users and their devices, to inform, optimize, and serve ads, and to report on our ad impressions, other uses of ad services, and interactions with these ad impressions and ad services (including how they are related to visits to specific sites or apps). Use of these Cookies is based on your consent. You can withdraw your consent using the functionality described below.
To learn more about interest-based advertising generally, including how to opt out from the targeting of interest-based ads by some of our current ad service partners, visit aboutads.info/choices or youronlinechoices.eu from each of your browsers and devices. You can also limit the use of advertising Cookies by using the options to “Limit Ad Tracking” on Apple’s iOS devices, or “Opt Out of interest-based ads” on Android. You can opt out of all personalized advertising or reset your advertising ID, so you only see personalized advertising related to what you look at from the point you reset it.
- Social Media Cookies. These are Cookies that allow you to make posts to social media sites such as Facebook. Use of these Cookies is based on your consent. You can withdraw your consent using the functionality described below.
With regard to specific Cookies that we use:
- You can opt out of Google Analytics and customize the Google Display Network ads by visiting the Google Ads Settings page. Google also allows you to install a Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on for your browser.
- To opt out of our use of Inspectlet, which makes a replayable record of visits to the marketing portion of our website (not the part that delivers our service) for analytics and troubleshooting purposes, go here.
- To opt out of our use of Optimizely, which helps us understand what workflows customers like better, go here.
- To opt out of our use of Marketo, which helps us with Marketing workflow, click here.
- To opt out of our use of LiveChat Inc, which offers the customer support solution, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To opt out of our use of Amplitude and Segment which allows us to perform analytics regarding our customer usage patterns and behavior, send an email to email@example.com.
If you replace, change or upgrade your browser, or delete your cookies, you may need to use these opt-out tools again. We do not respond to browser-based do-not-track signals.
Please visit your mobile device manufacturer's website (or the website for its operating system) for instructions on any additional privacy controls in your mobile operating system, such as privacy settings for device identifiers and geolocation.
Does PlanGrid Transfer Your Information Across National Borders?
We are based in the United States, and recipients of the data disclosures described in this Privacy Statement are located in the United States and elsewhere in the world, including where privacy laws may not provide as much protection as the country in which you are located. PlanGrid complies with legal requirements for cross-border data protection, including through the use of European Commission-approved Standard Contractual Clauses and contract language required by the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Frameworks (“Privacy Shield”), which is described below.
PlanGrid complies with the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Frameworks as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal data transferred from the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland, or the United Kingdom to the United States. PlanGrid has certified to the Department of Commerce that it adheres to the Privacy Shield Principles with respect to this data. If there is any conflict between the relevant terms in this Privacy Statement and the Privacy Shield Principles, the Privacy Shield Principles shall govern. We have certified to the U.S. Department of Commerce that we adhere to the Privacy Shield Principles in processing personal data that PlanGrid receives in reliance on the Privacy Shield. The Federal Trade Commission has jurisdiction over PlanGrid’s compliance with the Privacy Shield. To learn more about the Privacy Shield program, and to view our certification, please visit https://www.privacyshield.gov. Please refer to our Privacy Shield Statement for additional detail.
Covered residents of the EEA, Switzerland, or the United Kingdom should direct any questions, concerns or complaints regarding PlanGrid’s compliance with the Privacy Shield to PlanGrid as described at the bottom of this Privacy Statement. PlanGrid will attempt to answer your questions and satisfy your concerns in a timely and complete manner as soon as possible. If, after discussing the matter with PlanGrid, your issue or complaint is not resolved, PlanGrid has agreed to participate in the Privacy Shield independent dispute resolution mechanisms listed below, free of charge to you. PlanGrid has committed to refer unresolved privacy complaints under the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Principles to an independent dispute resolution mechanism. Please visit JAMS for more information or to file a complaint. If your complaint still is not resolved through these channels, under limited circumstances, an additional binding arbitration option may be available before a Privacy Shield panel, as described at https://www.privacyshield.gov.
Please note that PlanGrid’s customers may transfer personal data to PlanGrid on the basis of other legal mechanisms approved by the European Commission and other relevant authorities for cross-border data transfers, such as Standard Contractual Clauses. To exercise any legal right to see copies of the data transfer mechanism documents that PlanGrid uses to transfer data to third parties, please contact us at the details below. Our platform allows our customers and users to make international data transfers to third parties, for which they are solely responsible.
How Does PlanGrid Protect Children’s Information?
At PlanGrid, we care deeply about children’s privacy and protecting their personal data.
The PlanGrid services are generally designed for adult users. In some cases, we may offer the PlanGrid services to educational institutions, including high schools and universities. However, we do not knowingly collect personal data from children under age 13 in connection with the PlanGrid services.
In the event we discover we have collected data from a child in a manner inconsistent with the requirements of the U.S. Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act and Rule (“COPPA”) or other applicable law, we will promptly either delete the data or seek parental or guardian consent for that collection.
To the extent an individual under age 18 posts any content to the PlanGrid services, we honor requests to delete that content, unless we are required by law to retain it. Individuals under age 18 may contact us at the contact details below to request the deletion of any personally identifiable content posted to the PlanGrid services. Please note that when we delete information, we may not immediately delete residual copies from our active servers and may also retain information in our backup systems.
Is the Information You Give Us Ever Displayed Publicly?
As always, we urge you to be mindful when deciding to disclose personal data, including on the PlanGrid services. There are various places within our platform, websites, and applications that allow you to post content, including comments.
In some cases, you can limit who can view or access the information and content you post. In other cases, the information and content might be available to registered members of the platform, website, or application, or even to the general public. Your name, user name, profile image, or email address (particularly if this is your user name) may be posted along with any message or other content you post through our platform, websites, or applications.
If you are posting information you do not want to be disclosed publicly, make sure you are using a platform, website, or application that allows you to control who sees information you have posted.
Will This Privacy Statement Change?
How to Contact Us
If you have questions regarding our practices or this Privacy Statement, or would like to send us requests or complaints relating to personal data, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To contact our data protection officer, please use the following contact information: DPO@autodesk.com.