PlanGrid Privacy Statement
Effective Date: January 1, 2020
Protecting your privacy is important to PlanGrid. This Privacy Statement describes how PlanGrid, Inc. (“PlanGrid”) collects, uses, and discloses personal data about you in connection with our construction productivity management and collaboration platform, our websites and apps, through related support and professional services, and through various sales and marketing activities.
PlanGrid is part of the Autodesk corporate family. In some cases, we share with and receive personal data from other Autodesk companies, including our parent company Autodesk, Inc. and its subsidiaries (collectively, our “affiliates”).
This Privacy Statement describes how we process personal information for our own purposes and on our own behalf. We also process personal information on behalf of our customers subject to a written contract. We do not control the data processing or protection practices of our customers, which may differ from those set out in this Privacy Statement.
“Personal data” is information that identifies or can reasonably be linked directly or indirectly to an identifiable person. For purposes of this Privacy Statement, “personal data” and “personal information” have the same meaning and are used interchangeably.
This Privacy Statement will inform you about the following:
- What Information Does PlanGrid Collect About You?
- How Does PlanGrid Use the Information It Collects About You?
- How Does PlanGrid Disclose Information?
- How Does PlanGrid Protect and Retain Your Information?
- What Rights and Choices Do You Have?
- Does PlanGrid Transfer Your Information Across National Borders?
- How Does PlanGrid Protect Children’s Information?
- Is the Information You Give Us Ever Displayed Publicly?
- Will This Privacy Statement Change?
- How to Contact Us?
- Your California Privacy Rights
What Information Does PlanGrid Collect About You?
This Privacy Statement covers our handling of two general categories of personal data:
- Personal data we handle on behalf of our customers and users in connection with providing PlanGrid services (“Service Data”). We collect Service Data from our customers and users through various means, primarily through our construction productivity management and collaboration platform (including through user accounts on plangrid.com and our apps) and through related support and professional services. Because we receive information from or on behalf of our customers, Service Data may contain any type of information that our customers or their users provide. In most cases, this information is professional contact information and information that is linked to those contact details.
- Personal data we handle for our own business (“Business Data”). Business Data includes certain information collected on or through our websites, such as information you submit via newsletter signup forms, information we automatically collect when you visit our websites, and information collected through our sales and marketing-related efforts.
Please note that we may collect certain personal data about you in compliance with legal requirements or to perform our obligations under a contractual relationship with you or our customer through whom you use the PlanGrid services. Failure to provide this information may prevent or delay the fulfillment of these obligations.
Information you provide us
We collect personal data directly from you, such as when you create an account, register for newsletters or events, interact with us on social media, contact us, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we collect from you include:
- Identifiers, such as your name, email address, phone number, mailing address, username, and account password
- Professional information, such as your occupation, employer, industry, professional licenses, work experience and employment history, and other qualifications
- Protected characteristics, such as your age (where applicable)
- Commercial information, such as subscription plans and products or services you have expressed interest in, training and certification details, event attendance details
- Financial account information, such as payment information you provide when making a purchase (a third party processes these transactions on our behalf as described below)
- Education information, such as your educational background
- Visual, audio, and electronic information, such as your picture if you choose to upload one, records of our interactions, such as correspondence, details of complaints and their resolutions, service records, and your preferences, including your preferred tools, experience, language and the frequency at which you wish to receive marketing communications
Please note that when you make purchases through the PlanGrid services, we use payment processors (such as Stripe) and do not store credit card or other financial information (other than confirmation that payment in a certain amount has been made). We collect contact information from you that we pass through to the payment processor to facilitate the transaction. For more information you can read our providers’ privacy notices.
Information we obtain from your use of PlanGrid
We automatically collect and generate certain personal data about your use of PlanGrid and may associate that information with your account. These types of information generally include:
- Identifiers, such as unique device identifiers, IP addresses, cookie identifiers, and product IDs, information about product licenses, and account usernames
- Internet or other electronic network activity information, such as the website domain visited, dates and times PlanGrid services or offerings are used, how the PlanGrid services are accessed, posts, discussions, and other types of engagement on our blogs, discussion forums, or chat rooms, and the use of any hyperlinks or downloadable content available through PlanGrid
- Geolocation information, such as city and country determined from IP addresses
- Electronic information, such as operating systems, device types, information about browsers, information relating to automatic updates and technical errors, information about your use of PlanGrid services, including your preferred tools and experiences, and your engagement with our activities
- Commercial information, such as records about interest in PlanGrid or completed purchases
- Inferences drawn from any of the personal and application usage information available to PlanGrid.
Social networking data: Our platform may include content, buttons, or other tools that link to another company’s services and/or platform(s) (“Plugins”). We collect information about your use of Plugins through first- and third-party analytics tools. If the PlanGrid services that you use contain plugins, information can be transferred directly from your device to a third-party provider of services and/or platforms. We do not control the data collected by Plugins. If you are logged in to a social network, the social network may be able to link your use of the PlanGrid services to their services and/or platform.
For example, if you interact with a Plugin by clicking on "Like," "Follow," or "Share," or by writing a comment, this information may automatically appear in your profile on the relevant social network service or platform. Even if you are not logged in, the Plugins may send your IP address to social network services and/or platforms. Please note this when using our applications.
When you connect to a social networking service or platform on a device that is also used by others, these other users are able to see information that is stored or displayed in connection with your profile on the social networking service page.
Information we collect from other parties
We receive and process information from our affiliates and from third-party sources, such as employers, business partners, business contact databases, enrichment services, channel partners (e.g. resellers), marketing service providers, third-party data aggregators and social networking platforms (e.g., LinkedIn and Facebook). We also receive information from publicly-available sources and licensors. The categories of personal information we collect from these sources include:
- Identifiers, such as names, phone numbers, and email addresses
- Professional information, such as occupations, industries, professional licenses, work experience and employment histories, and other qualifications
- Education information, such as your educational background
- Commercial information, such as events you have attended or activities you have participated in
- Inferences, such as regarding your preferences, behaviors, and other attributes
In accordance with applicable law, we may combine your personal data with information we collect from other parties to help keep our databases current and accurate, and to provide you with more relevant content, experiences, services and other offerings.
How does PlanGrid Use the Information It Collects about You?
We use your personal data mindfully, and in useful ways, including:
- To validate your identity as necessary to perform our contract with you
- To deliver you services, products, support, or information you have requested about the PlanGrid services as necessary to perform our contract governing your use of the PlanGrid services or to communicate with you
- To send you important information within the scope of our contract with you
- To send you other information you requested, like when someone has “liked” one of your posts, to the extent necessary to perform our contract with you
- To send you suggestions, offers, promotions, newsletters, surveys, or other information in furtherance of our legitimate interests or, where needed, with consent
- To understand the ways the PlanGrid services are used and the people using them in furtherance of our legitimate interests or, where needed, with consent
- To improve our product and services and your experience in furtherance of our legitimate interests (or where needed, with consent), including through the use of automated systems that analyze data using machine learning and other analytic techniques
- To improve the security of and troubleshoot the PlanGrid services, as necessary to perform the contract governing your use of our applications or to communicate with you
- To provide promotional offers, advertising or other marketing content relevant to your interests in furtherance of our legitimate interest or, where needed, with consent
- To detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud and software piracy (e.g., to confirm that software is genuine and properly licensed) and to protect you, PlanGrid and our affiliates, and third parties in furtherance of our legitimate interests
- To enforce the legal terms that govern the PlanGrid services
- To comply with our legal obligations
- To protect the rights, safety and property of PlanGrid, you, or any third party
- To anonymize, aggregate, or de-identify your personal information so it can no longer identify you
- For other purposes, for which we obtain your consent (where we rely on your consent to process personal data, you may withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us at the contact details below or as otherwise indicated to you in writing)
Where we rely on our legitimate interests to process your personal information, you may have the right to object to that processing on the basis of circumstances specific to you. For more information, see “What Rights and Choices Do You Have?” below.
When we process personal data about you to comply with legal requirements or to perform our obligations under a contract with you or with our customer through whom you use PlanGrid’s services, failure to provide such data may prevent or delay our fulfillment of these obligations.
How Does PlanGrid Disclose Your Information?
We disclose the categories of personal information described above with the following categories of persons:
- Our service providers, including vendors, consultants, and other service providers who perform services or functions on our behalf, for business purposes. For example, our service providers include companies who support us with marketing, sales, consulting, communications, software maintenance and support, analytics, social media, market research, license compliance, security, user verification, localization, and payment processing. Our service providers process your information subject to contractual terms that restrict their ability to use your information
- Our business partners, such as channel partners (e.g. resellers), with whom you interact to facilitate your relationship with PlanGrid and those business partners for any of the purposes described in our or those business partners’ privacy statements
- Our affiliates, for any of the purposes and uses of information described in this Privacy Statement, including providing you with integrated products and services (including administering purchases, services, and payments across our integrated products and services). Our affiliates may provide you with personalized offers or send you marketing communications about products and services that may be of interest to you with your consent or as otherwise permitted by applicable law
- Social networking services and platforms through Plugins or when you use the PlanGrid services to connect and share information publicly or with your contacts on such services or platforms
- Persons to whom we are required by law to provide information, such as pursuant to a subpoena or court order
- Law enforcement, legal counsel, or other necessary parties when we have a good faith belief that the disclosure is necessary to prevent or respond to fraud or software piracy, defend ourselves against attacks, or protect the rights, property, and safety of PlanGrid, our customers, and the public
- Parties involved in the consideration, negotiation, or completion of a business sale, merger, consolidation, change in control, transfer of substantial assets, bankruptcy, or reorganization, and any subsequent integration.
We may also disclose your personal information to other parties when we have your consent to do so or when you direct us to, or for any purposes requested or permitted by you. For example, if you use choose to integrate third-party software into our platform (for example, Google Drive, Box, Dropbox, or other integrations), we will share information with those third-party integrations as necessary for them to work, but please note that your information will be handled by such third party subject to their own privacy and security policies or procedures, which we do not control.
We may share aggregate, anonymous, or de-identified demographic, statistical, and other information regarding use of the Services with third parties for marketing and other purposes. Such information will not specifically identify any particular user.
We may also disclose Service Data to provide the PlanGrid services, which can involve transferring data to service providers whose use of the data is consistent with this Privacy Statement and to third parties whose own use of the data is not subject to this Privacy Statement, such as:
- By facilitating a user’s posting of information to a PlanGrid project controlled by a third party (which, like the other examples here, then would be subject to that third party’s decisions about use and disclosure)
- By facilitating a user’s posting of information to a PlanGrid project controlled by you (which, like the other examples here, then would be subject to your decisions about use and disclosure)
- By facilitating a user’s electronic delivery of information to an external recipient selected by that user (such as to send data to an integration or to invite a nonuser to join a project)
- By providing a customer or a third party chosen by the customer with any data collected from any user of the customer’s PlanGrid project
- By providing a project administrator with information about a user’s use of the PlanGrid project
- By allowing a project administrator to transfer control of all or a portion of a project (and the data it contains) to a new project administrator, including one at a different company
How Does PlanGrid Protect and Retain Your Information?
We maintain various physical, organizational and technical safeguards, which are subject to We maintain various physical, organizational and technical safeguards, which are subject to periodic changes. We limit the access employees, contractors, and agents of PlanGrid and our affiliates have to your information to those who need to know this data to perform their assigned functions and develop or improve our products and services.
If you use third-party software integrated into our service (for example, Google Drive, Box, Dropbox or other integrations), your information will be handled by the respective third party subject to their own privacy and security policies or procedures, which we do not control.
We will hold your information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes set forth in this Privacy Statement or as long as we are legally required or permitted to do so. We retain your information in order to comply with financial reporting obligations and so that we can establish, exercise or defend legal claims, including enforcing our rights under contracts. Information may persist in copies made for backup and business continuity purposes for additional time.
What Rights and Choices Do You Have?
You have the rights to access personal data we hold about you and to have that data corrected or updated, restricted or deleted in appropriate circumstances. All users can review and update certain user information by logging in to the relevant portions of the PlanGrid services. You can unsubscribe from marketing emails by clicking the "unsubscribe" link contained in these marketing emails. Users can deactivate their accounts by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org, subject to any contractual provisions between PlanGrid and the customer responsible for the account. Controls related to cookies and other automated data collection are described in the “Cookies and Automated Data Collection” section below.
Certain jurisdictions grant individuals rights with respect to their personal data. Depending on where you live or applicable law, you may also have the right to:
- Withdraw your consent to processing certain personal information where we justify our processing on your consent
- Restrict or object to our processing of your personal information
- Have us block, anonymize, or delete your personal information, as appropriate
- Receive a copy of your personal information to transfer it to a third party
- Opt-out of certain direct marketing communications
- Opt-out of certain disclosures of your personal information to third parties
- Not be denied a good or service for exercising your rights, though you may be provided a different level of service or charged a different rate or price consistent with applicable law
- Lodge a complaint with the relevant data protection authority in the jurisdiction in which you are located.
These rights may be limited in some circumstances by local law. For example, even if you ask us to delete your personal information, we may need to retain it to complete transactions you have requested, to comply with our legal obligations, or for other limited business purposes as required or permitted by law.
To exercise applicable rights, you can contact us as described at the end of this Privacy Statement. Consistent with applicable law, we may ask for proof of your identity before fulfilling your request, and we may ask for additional forms of verification depending on the nature of the personal information requested.
California residents, please read the “Your California Privacy Rights” section for additional disclosures and information regarding your rights under California law.
Where we process Service Data on behalf of our customers, we may refer the request to the relevant customer and cooperate with their handling of the request, subject to any special contractual arrangement with that customer. For individual user accounts not associated with a customer account, PlanGrid will handle the request directly.
Cookies and Automated Data Collection
We and our service providers, acting on our behalf, set Cookies. We also allow third parties to set Cookies that we do not control (as described below). You can find details of the third parties that set Cookies below.
Some Cookies are known as “session” Cookies. These are deleted after you close your browser, for example Cookies that keep you logged in throughout a session on our site. Other Cookies are “persistent” Cookies, which remain on your device for a longer period. This might include Cookies used to remember your language preferences so that our website will be in the language you prefer when you visit.
We use various types of Cookies:
- Advertising Cookies. These Cookies are used to understand your preferences and show relevant advertising to you both on our websites and on third party sites. These Cookies are used to recognize users and their devices, to inform, optimize, and serve ads, and to report on our ad impressions, other uses of ad services, and interactions with these ad impressions and ad services (including how they are related to visits to specific sites or apps). Where required by law, our use of these Cookies is based on your consent. You can withdraw your consent using the functionality described below. Visit aboutads.info/choices or youronlinechoices.eu from each of your browsers and devices to learn more about interest-based advertising and about how to opt out from interest-based advertisements delivered by our ad service partners.
- Social Media Cookies. These are Cookies that allow you to make posts to social media sites such as Facebook. Where required by law, our use of these Cookies is based on your consent. You can withdraw your consent using the functionality described below.
With regard to specific Cookies that we use:
- You can opt out of Google Analytics and customize the Google Display Network ads by visiting the Google Ads Settings page. Google also allows you to install a Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on for your browser.
- To opt out of our use of Inspectlet, which makes a replayable record of visits to the marketing portion of our website (not the part that delivers our service) for analytics and troubleshooting purposes, go here.
- To opt out of our use of Optimizely, which helps us understand what workflows customers like better, go here.
- To opt out of our use of Marketo, which helps us with Marketing workflow, click here.
- To opt out of our use of LiveChat Inc, which offers the customer support solution, send an email to email@example.com.
- To opt out of our use of Amplitude and Segment which allows us to perform analytics regarding our customer usage patterns and behavior, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you replace, change or upgrade your browser, or delete your cookies, you may need to use these opt-out tools again. We do not respond to browser-based do-not-track signals.
Please visit your mobile device manufacturer's website (or the website for its operating system) for instructions on any additional privacy controls in your mobile operating system, such as privacy settings for device identifiers and geolocation. For example, Apple’s iOS devices offer users the ability to “Limit Ad Tracking,” and Android devices allow users to “Opt Out of interest-based ads.” On those devices, you can opt out of all personalized advertising by enabling the respective feature or reset your advertising ID so you see personalized advertising related to only what you have browsed from after the point you reset it.
Does PlanGrid Transfer Your Information Across National Borders?
We are based in the United States, and recipients of the data disclosures described in this Privacy Statement are located in the United States and elsewhere in the world, including where privacy laws may not provide equivalent protection as the country in which you are located. PlanGrid complies with legal requirements for cross-border data transfers by using European Commission-approved Standard Contractual Clauses and contract language required by the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Frameworks (“Privacy Shield”), which is described below.
PlanGrid complies with the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Frameworks as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal data transferred from the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland, or the United Kingdom to the United States. PlanGrid has certified to the Department of Commerce that it adheres to the Privacy Shield Principles with respect to this data. If there is any conflict between the relevant terms in this Privacy Statement and the Privacy Shield Principles, the Privacy Shield Principles shall govern. We have certified to the U.S. Department of Commerce that we adhere to the Privacy Shield Principles in processing personal data that PlanGrid receives in reliance on the Privacy Shield. The Federal Trade Commission has jurisdiction over PlanGrid’s compliance with the Privacy Shield. To learn more about the Privacy Shield program, and to view our certification, please visit https://www.privacyshield.gov. Please refer to our Privacy Shield Statement for additional detail.
Covered residents of the EEA, Switzerland, or the United Kingdom should direct any questions, concerns or complaints regarding PlanGrid’s compliance with the Privacy Shield to PlanGrid as described at the bottom of this Privacy Statement. PlanGrid will attempt to answer your questions and satisfy your concerns in a timely and complete manner as soon as possible. If, after discussing the matter with PlanGrid, your issue or complaint is not resolved, PlanGrid has agreed to participate in the Privacy Shield independent dispute resolution mechanisms listed below, free of charge to you. PlanGrid has committed to refer unresolved privacy complaints under the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Principles to an independent dispute resolution mechanism. Please visit JAMS for more information or to file a complaint. If your complaint still is not resolved through these channels, under limited circumstances, an additional binding arbitration option may be available before a Privacy Shield panel, as described at https://www.privacyshield.gov.
Please note that PlanGrid’s customers may transfer personal data to PlanGrid on the basis of other legal mechanisms approved by the European Commission and other relevant authorities for cross-border data transfers, such as Standard Contractual Clauses. To exercise any legal right to see copies of the data transfer mechanism documents that PlanGrid uses to transfer data to third parties, please contact us at the details below. Our platform allows our customers and users to make international data transfers to third parties, for which they are solely responsible.
How Does PlanGrid Protect Children’s Information?
The PlanGrid services are designed for adult users. In some cases, we may offer the PlanGrid services to educational institutions, including high schools and universities. However, we do not knowingly collect personal data from children under age 13 in connection with the PlanGrid services.
In the event we discover we have collected data from a child in a manner inconsistent with the requirements of the U.S. Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act and Rule (“COPPA”) or other applicable law, we will promptly either delete the data or seek parental or guardian consent for that collection.
To the extent an individual under age 18 posts any content to the PlanGrid services, we honor requests to delete that content, unless we are required by law to retain it. Individuals under age 18 may contact us at the contact details below to request the deletion of any personally identifiable content posted to the PlanGrid services. Please note that when we delete information, we may not immediately delete residual copies from our active servers and may also retain information in our backup systems.
Is the Information You Give Us Ever Displayed Publicly?
As always, we urge you to be mindful when deciding to disclose personal data, including on the PlanGrid services. There are various places within our platform, websites, and applications that allow you to post content, including comments.
In some cases, you can limit who can view or access the information and content you post. In other cases, the information and content might be available to registered members of the platform, website, or application, or even to the general public. Your name, username, profile image, or email address (particularly if this is your username) may be posted along with any message or other content you post through our platform, websites, or applications.
If you are posting information you do not want to be disclosed publicly, make sure you are using a platform, website, or application that allows you to control who sees information you have posted.
Will This Privacy Statement Change?
How to Contact Us
If you have questions regarding our practices or this Privacy Statement, or would like to send us requests or complaints relating to personal data, please contact us at email@example.com.
To contact our data protection officer, please use the following contact information: DPO@autodesk.com.
Your California Privacy Rights
California law treats certain disclosures of personal information with third parties in exchange for something of value as “sales,” even when no money changes hand. We do not “sell” personal information subject to California law.
We described several types of rights in “What Rights and Choices Do You Have?” above. If you reside in California, you have rights to access the specific pieces of your information, the right to know details about our processing of your information, the right to request deletion of your personal information, and the right to not be denied goods or services for exercising these rights. You can exercise those rights by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.